This being my first time pregnant I'm learning a lot about what my body is going through while building this baby. I'm almost at the second trimester and people keep telling me it is the best one. Here is too them being right :)
Sure there has been the usual - nauseousness, barely eating, the in between stage of your clothes being too tight but the maternity ones too big, but I think the biggest adjustment that has had to take place with this first trimester is how limited I am. My energy levels are NO where near what I usually function at and that means things I used to do have had to come to a hault until this changes. Please tell me this changes! :)
My usual schedule and pace of life is nothing compared to some but I thought it was at quite a nice balance for me. Work full time 5 days per week, teach piano 2 extra hours per week, 3 evenings out with family or friends, give or take, and 1 night a month for volunteering to record minutes for a board of directors apart of the Township of Langley. Then there is the most important - time with my Hubby and treasuring just us for the next bit before baby. Oh and let us not forget the usual household chores, laundry, etc. WOW, just writing this out seems like a lot but not bad, right?
Yet the last 3 months have been a stretch for me to work full time and get dinner on the table! Forget teaching and evenings out! I'm in bed by 8-9pm instead of 11pm and find to do anything extra takes everything out of me. In short, I'm feeling very limited (a feeling I hate) and it has been a big adjustment.
I know most 'Mom's' that are reading this I'm sure are saying, "You just wait until that kid is born! Now THAT is an adjustment." I hear ya! Maybe each stage of pregnancy is to prepare us for that huge adjustment. So please know I'm rolling with it but there are days like today I'm frustrated with myself that I can't do everything I used to do. But as my sister-in-law said, "Treena, you probably grew a lung today. That is a lot of work! Give yourself some slack and rest." Good advice. I guess I will have to make sure there are more evenings at home to do just that. :)
4 comments:
Hey Treena! I totally understand...the first trimester is tough. Your energy levels usually do get better - at least for the 2nd trimester!! The third you may hit the low energy again, but in a different way than the first trimester. And remember that you are growing a baby so don't worry if you are too tired to get dinner on the table or to clean the house. I had to really remember that this time, especially when I had a 2 year old tugging at my arm and I was so sick and on the couch feeling guilty. Its only a season and it does get better! And the most important thing is yours and the baby's health! Praying for you!
Treena...don't discount this stage at all, you are grwoing a human being!
Get all the rest you can, eat when you feel like you are not going to throw up ;-) and enjoy the ride as best you can because in the very near future this will al be but a memory and part of your story.
When the baby arrives, remember all the pregnancy symptoms disappear instantly!!!! Then you just deal with lack of sleep, but you will have the rest of your life to catch up on that (grin). This is the best ride of your life, hold on tight and enjoy!
It's so true, many changes happen to your body throughout pregnancy! I agree with everyone else - don't feel guilty at ALL! You are busy even when lying down - you're building a whole person! Someone told me that in your first trimester your body does the equivalent of running a marathon EVERYDAY. Crazy! So, you deserve to rest :)
The second trimester is by far the best!! Take advantage of it and enjoy :) The beginning of the 3rd is good too, but near the end is tough.
If you're like me, you don't like to stay home or "miss out" on anything - I totally understand! But, give yourself permission to say "no" and set boundaries. Your body will thank you! And you'll feel better. Because going to work full time and cooking dinner... well, that IS an accomplishment! :)
Thanks Ladies for your encouragement. I am enjoying the journey and thanking God for this miracle growing inside of me. I just need to stop and listen to my body. :)
Post a Comment